Researching and understanding a Media Outlet’s profile can be beneficial in developing a relationship with Media Contacts associated with the Outlet. .The Outlet Record page contains all of the information regarding a single outlet. Let’s take a look at how you can access a Media Outlet Record.
Finding a Media Outlet Record by Name
Follow these steps to search the database for a specific individual:
- Click on Search Media Contacts option from the Influencers tab in the Next Gen Cision Communications Cloud. This will open the Cision Media Database.
- Select the Search page from the Influencer tab in the Cision Media Database.
- Make sure the criteria box is set to Outlet Name and begin typing the Media Outlet’s name. If the name of the Outlet contains accents, the system will find the Media Outlet regardless of whether you include the accents as you enter the name. Notice that the Cision Communications Cloud will show any Media Outlets whose name match what you type. The platform will also show the location of which each Media Outlet is associated.
- Click the desired Outlet Name from the results list.
Click the Search button with the desired Media Outlets’s information in the search box.
The Media Outlet’s Record Page will be displayed as a result of the search.
Understanding the Media Outlet Record
The Outlet Record page contains all of the information regarding a single outlet. Each Media Outlet will have a similar layout containing the following components:
- In the left-hand panel, you’ll see all general details about the Outlet inclusive of the Outlet’s Twitter avatar, the Subjects or Beats on which the Outlet reports, DMA (Designated Coverage Area), Type, Reach Information(labeled as UVPM for online publications, labeled Reach for print and broadcast publications), Contact Information, and Social Channel Pages. NOTE: Reach information for outlets is evaluated and updated about every 12 months.
- Within the left-hand panel, you will see the ability to add the Outlet to a Media List.
- The Pitching Profile gives you details about how best to pitch the Media Outlet.
- Notes can be added highlighting pitching notes or other information you have learned about the Outlet. Notes are shared among Cision users within an organization and can be a valuable collaboration tool.
- Within the At this Outlet section, you will find a listing of all Media Contacts in our database that are associated with the Outlet. If you are unsure of who to reach out to at a particular publication, this area can be especially useful as you will see the title for each Media Contact as well as their related profile information.
- The Insights panel will show you charts describing the Outlet’s Twitter audience. The Media Outlet must have an associated Twitter handle within the profile to show this information.
- The History panel will show a log of your interactions and communications (called Activities in this platform) with the Media Outlet as well as mentions of recent News articles published by the Outlet.
- The Outlet’s Twitter profile will appear on the right-hand side of the profile. You will also see their recent posts on Twitter if you have a connected a Twitter Account to the Cision Communications Cloud. If you do not have accounts connected for these channels, you will see a reminder to connect them.
- The You May Also Like section will show Outlets that are similar to the outlet you whose record you are viewing in that the Outlets talk about similar topics on Twitter.
Adding an Outlet to a List
- Click the upside-down triangle on the Edit List button located in the left-hand panel of the Media Outlet record.
- To find an existing list, you can use the scrollbar.
- Or, you can use the search box to type the name of the existing list. You can also use this search box to type in the name of a new list.
- If you are adding the Outlet to an existing list, simply click the checkbox preceding the name of the list(s) to add it.
Identifying General Outlet Details Within the Record
In the middle of the left panel, you’ll find the About section which contains the Subjects that the Outlet reports upon, the Outlet’s DMA (Designated Market Area) and rank(if other than National), Media Type, Frequency, and ReachCirculation/Unique Visitors Per Month/Nielsen ratings.
At the bottom of the left panel, you will find the Outlet’s Contact Information. The Three Ellipses button will enable you to request an update of the Outlet’s Contact Information if you find it is out of date. While our research team reaches out to the Outlet periodically to update their information, you can request an update at any time.
Pitching Profile Panel
In the top center area is the Pitching Profile, the important information acquired and curated by our Research team. This area will detail how best to pitch and interact with the Media Outlet. This is updated bi-annually. NOTE: If you see ‘This is a Vocus News on Demand (NOD) outlet’ in the Pitching Profile, this means that the outlet contributes news items to monitoring but does not have pitching or contact details.
To the right of this area is the Notes section. You can add your own private information in this section. It operates on an auto-save feature, so there’s no need to click anything after you’ve typed your note. It’s a good idea to enter the date and time for future reference.
Identifying Media Contacts Associated with the Outlet
In the middle of the profile, you’ll see a list of the media employee’s at this outlet. You can select contacts and add them to a list or export them to a CSV file. You can also see affiliated media, if any.
- Media Contacts that are employees of the Outlet will show on the Contacts tab.
- Affiliated Media will show on a separate tab.
- As you click on each Contact in the left pane, you will see their Profile details appear on the right.
- If the Media Contact is associated with additional Outlets. you will the “more Outlets” link. Clicking this link will show you their additional Outlets.
- The View All Contacts button will show the Contacts along with filters that you can use to focus on certain Contacts.
Activities and News Related to a Media Outlet
To the right of the Audience Insights and Influence panel, you will find the History panel. This panel will show a log of your interactions and communications (called Activities in this platform) with the Media Outlet as well as mentions of any recent news articles they have published.
- Activities generated on the Campaigns tab such as Email Distributions, Phone Calls, Interviews will be logged in chronological order. You will see Activities logged on the All and Activities tabs. Click on the title of an Activity to see its details or edit it.
- You can log a new activity directly from this panel using the Plus Sign button.
- Recent News that the Media Outlet has published will show on the All tab. Click into any News items shown as links to read the article.
- If any of the recent News that the Media Outlet has published meets your News monitoring criteria, you will see mentions of this relevant news on the My Coverage tab.
Emails logged on the History Panel will have one of two indicator messages. A sent email message indicates that an email was sent to the media contact. An opened message indicates that the email was received and opened by the Media Outlet.
Media Outlet’s Social Profiles Panel
The Outlet’s Twitter profile will appear on the right-hand side of the profile. You will also see their recent posts on Twitter if you have connected a Twitter account to the Cision Communications Cloud. If you do not have a Twitter account, you will see a reminder to connect them.
You May Also Like
- The You May Also Like section will show Outlets that are similar to the outlet you whose record you are viewing in that the Outlets talk about similar topics on Twitter. As a result, you may want to research these Outlets and consider them for your media lists.
Click on an Outlet in this section to open its Outlet record.